- Regard moving as an opportunity to get rid of belongings you no longer need. Consider making ”donate” and “sell” piles in each room for things you could do without.
- People have a tendency to keep outdated paperwork for a very long time. Realise that paper is very heavy . Do yourself a favour and get rid of any outdated documents prior to moving..
- Make sure you have a generous supply of packaging tape, scissors, markers and labels.
- Defrost your refrigerator in time for moving day.
- Gather birth certificates, passports, etc. for everyone in your home and carry important documents with you on moving day.
- Measure doorways, stairways, and elevators to make sure all your furniture will fit. Measure twice – move once!
- Go grocery shopping on moving day so you don't have to keep ordering takeout.
- Transfer your monthly services.
- Confirm parking options for your moving truck - you may need a permit on moving day.
- Make sure your new home has a visible address.
- Find the nearest library, café, grocery store, takeout restaurant, or any area you'll visit frequently.
- Explore your new neighborhood.
- Get to know your new neighbors!
- Register to vote.